Making Sense of Adolescence
10 week class begins Monday September 19th
Lisa is a BRILLIANT teacher whose intellect, humor and warm heart make the material accessible.
The class became an event to look forward to each week as it nurtured me and, more importantly, helped me understand my child more fully.
I want the whole world to take this class!
Relevant, engaging and packed with insight.
The way in which the material was presented was very high-quality, complex and pushed the boundaries of modern cultural ideas.
I have renewed patience, grace and forgiveness with my children
Lisa is wonderful!
She is filled with passion and relatable stories that bring the learning to life.
Lisa is a spirited guide.
She shares fully her successes as well as her mistakes. She affirms our intuition and gives us permission to follow it.
I love Lisa’s classes!
I always feel like I’m coming home. Her wisdom, great stories and warmth make every class a pleasure.
Crossing the bridge from childhood to adulthood has never been so daunting. The time of adolescence is longer than ever and yet society today offers little support in understanding or facilitating this transition. The objective of this course is to make sense of your adolescent from the inside out.
Every adolescent is an individual, of course, but there are common dynamics that affect all adolescents. Understanding what these dynamics are can provide the keys for knowing how to deal with the problems that may arise and for knowing how to best support healthy development through this often tumultuous time.
How the class works:
Included in the class fee is a 3-month membership to the Neufeld Institute online campus* where you will watch a 60-75 minute lecture by Dr. Gordon Neufeld before each week’s class. The Sunday classes will include a mix of teaching and discussion, as well as time for Q and A.
*the online campus is a virtual treasure trove of resources, from book recommendations to webinars, to which you have access along with the class lectures.
We will explore:
- the psychological changes at puberty that impact adolescents and those that parent and work with them
- how to deal with the premature loss of power and influence with an adolescent
- the rites of passage that must be endured for the adolescent to mature
- how to recognize when rebellion is healthy or a result of adults being replaced by peers
- the psychological temptations faced by adolescents on their journey to maturity
- how to preserve or restore one’s rightful place in an adolescent’s life
- the dangers of peer-orientation in the life of an adolescent
- how to differentiate between relationship problems and behavior problems in the adolescent
- the role of dissonance and internal conflict in the life of an adolescent
- how to hold on without holding them back
Making Sense of Adolescence was created by Dr. Gordon Neufeld.