The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.
making sense of adolescence
10 week class begins on Sunday January 23rd
Crossing the bridge from childhood to adulthood has never been so daunting. The time of adolescence is longer than ever and yet society today offers little support in understanding or facilitating this transition. The objective of this course is to make sense of your adolescent from the inside out.
Every adolescent is an individual, of course, but there are common dynamics that affect all adolescents. Understanding what these dynamics are can provide the keys for knowing how to deal with the problems that may arise and for knowing how to best support healthy development through this often tumultuous time.
How the class works:
Included in the class fee is a 3-month membership to the Neufeld Institute online campus* where you will watch a 60-75 minute lecture by Dr. Gordon Neufeld before each week's class. The Sunday classes will include a mix of teaching and discussion, as well as time for Q and A.
*the online campus is a virtual treasure trove of resources, from book recommendations to webinars, to which you have access along with the class lectures.
We will explore:
- the psychological changes at puberty that impact adolescents and those that parent and work with them
- how to deal with the premature loss of power and influence with an adolescent
- the rites of passage that must be endured for the adolescent to mature
- how to recognize when rebellion is healthy or a result of adults being replaced by peers
- the psychological temptations faced by adolescents on their journey to maturity
- how to preserve or restore one’s rightful place in an adolescent’s life
- the dangers of peer-orientation in the life of an adolescent
- how to differentiate between relationship problems and behavior problems in the adolescent
- the role of dissonance and internal conflict in the life of an adolescent
- how to hold on without holding them back
Making Sense of Adolescence was created by Dr. Gordon Neufeld.
Are You Yearning for more Insight into your Child?
As a parent consultant, I work from the perspective that holds the full realization of each child's potential as the ultimate goal. Together we will journey-- using teaching, metaphor, story and humor--towards both increased insight into your child and increased understanding of how to best support their development.
It usually turns out that in supporting our children in reaching their full potential that we as parents move closer to fulfilling ours. I would be honored to support you in this transformative process.
Areas in which I can provide support:
- Frustration, Aggression & Tantrums
- Sleep issues in infants, toddlers and school-age children
- Resistance and defiance
- Bossy, controlling "Alpha" children
- Sibling fighting and rivalry
- School Behavior Issues
- Attention Problems
- Adolescent Issues